Friday, June 3, 2011

As I Live Now.

My sister is getting married on August 26th, and I'm a bridesmaid. She still hasn't picked a color. Two and a half months and I still don't know what color dress to look for. Can you tell I'm rolling my eyes as I write this?

Two months may seem like plenty of time to you, but to me, it's terribly last minute. She's bouncing back and forth between black and tan, and I'm crossing my fingers and praying my heart out that she doesn't pick tan because I look pale as a sheet in tan. Plus, who sells fancy dresses in tan? No one, that's who. Black is good, I'm comfortable in black. 

In my dreams I would look like this:

But since I know I'm not Bar (and that dress is a tad trampy for a wedding. Or... the general public) I'm thinking of going with something like this:


My jaw literally dropped when I saw this dress. IT IS SO PRETTY! The way it's draped... the length.. ah! Doesn't just looking at it make you all tingly inside? Okay, maybe it's just me. 

But, since I don't have the shoulders for a strapless gown (not trying to be self deprecating, I just know what my body isn't made for), I want to have straps like these added. 

Sandra Dee. My inspiration for life. Embarrassing fact: In high school I had a collage of photos of her on my binder.

The only problems are 1.The dress is $230. Way too much for this 'frugal' Swede, and 2. My sister's wedding dress has the same kind of sheer lace shoulders so I don't want to be too matchy-matchy with the bride...

What I will do, we shall see! Ah, the perils of being a bridesmaid!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret! Thanks for stopping by my blog! BTW, I'm in a wedding later this year also and Jcrew have some bridesmaid appropriate dresses in their sale section!!! Goodluck with dress hunting!

http://stitchednadorned.wordpress.com/

The Eyre Effect said...

That dress is gorgeous! I want it. And I totally agree with you about the shoulders thing-- my shoulders are a tad too wide for anything strapless, so I'd definitely have to add the straps as well. I think it adds in the loveliness, too. I hope your sister figures out what she's doing soon!

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty dress indeed! Simple, yet elegant, and probably quite flattering when it fits right.

I have never even considered wearing strapless, so I don't know anything about how it works . . . what do you mean when you say you don't have the shoulders for it?

Good luck on finding a pretty and inexpensive dress!